Embark on a unique expedition across a land of stunning beauty! Along the way, marvel at extraordinary landscapes and immerse yourself in history. Follow in the footsteps of general San Martin on his 1818 expedition, responsible for Argentinean and Chilean independence! You will conquer El Portillo pass, one of the six used by his troops in the historical expedition. Set out from the mountain area of Tunuyán, crossing the the Andes, numerous breathtaking valleys and gorges surrounded by glaciers and towering 6,000m mountains! Better put down that doughnut and prepare, this is not just another walk in the park!See more
Arrival in Mendoza...
• Transfer from Mendoza City to Tunuyán
• Upon arrival at the operational base, prepare the packs & meet the guides
• Lunch in Tunuyán before a land transfer to the Portinari Refuge
• After the registration in Migrations (passport required), hike up to the Scaravelli refuge, where we will set up the tents for the first night
• Overnight in a Mountain Camp
Walking time: 5h // Slope Difference: + 600m // Starting altitude: 2,500m // Camp altitude: 3,100m // Lunch and dinner included
• Enjoy a calm day to relax and acclimatize
• After lunch, hike for 3 hours to the next camp, ascending gradually by the mountain range towards Portillo Pass
• Tonight we will overnight at the Yaretas Camp
Walking time: 3h // Slope Difference: +300m // Starting altitude: 3,100m // Camp altitude: 3,400m // Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included
• Start with an early breakfast. Intense day ahead!
• Climb up to El Portillo pass, from where the view is incredible with hills and glaciers over 6,000 m. a. s. l!
• In the afternoon we will descend along a valley until finally reaching the camp, next to the Real de la Cruz Refuge
• Please note: In case of not reaching this camp, we will stop at La Ollada, two hours before
Walking time: 14h // Slope Difference: +800m/-1400m // Starting altitude: 3,400m // Pass altitude: 4,200m // Camp altitude: 2,900m // Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included
• Spend the day at leisure soothing those achy muscles
• In case of having camped in La Ollada, we will walk only 2 hours to Real de la Cruz
• Overnight in a Mountain Camp
Walking time: 0-2h // Slope Difference: +100m/-300m // Starting altitude: 3,000m // Camp altitude: 2,900m // Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included
• Get up early to take advantage of the daylight
• Our goal is to get closer to the International Border
• Trek through a beautiful valley, until we reach Real de las Ovejas, where we set up our last camp
Walking time: 7h // Slope Difference: +300m // Starting altitude: 2,900m // Camp altitude: 3,400m // Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included
• Today is a key day as we finally cross into Chile!
• Trek to the border at Piuquenes Pass
• Upon arrival, say goodbye and thank the animals and the locals who helped us along the way
• From this point, each must carry his/her belongings plus some of the general equipment
• Descent on the Chilean side, trekking downhill for about 4 hours
• Reach the Posas del Yeso hot springs early in the afternoon
• After a late lunch, transfer by vehicle to the city of Santiago de Chile
Walking time: 8h // Slope Difference: +550m/-1150m // Starting altitude: 3,400m // Pass altitude: 3,950m // Altitude at finish point: 2,800m // Breakfast, Lunch included
• Take the morning to reflect on an epic week of adventure in the Andes!
• After breakfast, transfer to the Santiago de Chile Airport
Please feel free to extend your trip by asking your local agent to add extra days either before or after the group tour.
Feel free to ask your local agency to privatize the tour if you would like to choose your own departure dates.
Price per person, based on occupancy of one double room. Excluding international flights.
|Departure date of group tour||From|
|From 03/01/2020 to 03/07/2020||$1,100|