Traveling in December
City trips in December
A city trip in December can be a great way to experience the culture of any country. Explore the culture, food, art, architecture and meet the diverse range of people who live in some of the most fascinating and beautiful cities around the world.
- If you’re looking for an adventurous city trip, why not visit Rio de Janeiro in Brazil and soak up the vibrant, buzzing atmosphere in a city which never sleeps. Relax and explore, escaping any cold December temperatures which you might find elsewhere, or discover the city’s various up-and-coming districts, with cool bars and shops everywhere you look.
- Reykjavik’s art scene is just one great reason to visit this unique city. Visit the galleries and exhibitions that are dotted around this capital before relaxing and enjoying some delicious Icelandic food or a show of December’s Northern Lights.
- The beauty of St Petersburg in Russia is world-renowned and for good reason. Visit the beautiful cathedrals and palaces here and enjoy one of the most beautiful cities in the world during the winter.
Winter sun vacations in December
Nothing is more satisfying than escaping the cold and smugly jetting off to an exotic location in the sun. Why deal with the cold weather of December when you could escape it with a fantastic trip to a winter sun location?
- Visit Mexico and see the bustling culture here that runs alongside the ancient Inca sites here. Relax on the famous beaches of Cancun, enjoying the blissfully warm sun and blue waters.
- A trip to Australia is the perfect choice for those wishing to escape the cold, since December is summer time in Australia. Explore the interesting cities of Sydney, Melbourne or Adelaide or the wilderness of the outback.
- New Zealand’s seasons also allow for the perfect summer getaway in December. Take in the incredible landscapes that bring so many visitors here each year, seeing sights such as Milford sound.
Winter vacations in December
To make the most of the beautiful scenery that the winter months can bring, why not go to on of Northern Europe’s winter destinations and explore in the snow. Go dog-sledding, stay in an igloo or go skiing and have the winter trip of a lifetime.
- Enjoy a getaway to the beautiful destination of Norway, where you can explore the fjords, the lakes and, of course, the snow. Enjoy all the classic elements of a Norwegian winter in December, such as a traditional sauna.
- Relax after a day of snowshoeing or dog-sledding in a hot tub in Greenland and tick a sighting of the breathtaking Northern Lights off your bucket list. Enjoy the beautiful countryside of Greenland as you explore the ice cap or take a snowmobile tour.
- Visit Iceland and see how much it lives up to its name as you stay in an ice hotel or watch The Northern Lights as they light up the December sky. Visit Reykjavik and enjoy the cultural sites, visiting galleries, museums and restaurants as you explore this cool city.
Best wildlife destinations in December
Whether you’re an animal lover, a nature enthusiast or a family with children; a wildlife tour will be unforgettable no matter where you choose to go. Here are our top 3 for wildlife destinations in December.
- While the USA is well-known for its stunning landscapes, dramatic waterfalls, colorful skies and vast forests, you’ll be equally blown away by the animals that live here. Go bird-watching or see the world famous bears in Yellowstone National Park or the State of Colorado.
- India is an incredible destination for a wildlife tour, with so many incredible species here. See Bengal tigers, indian elephants, rhinoceros, snow leopards and so much more. Go on safari or travel through the jungle with a guide and see how many of these fascinating creatures you can spot.
- Travel to South America to see Bolivia’s native species, such as Llamas, cougars and wolves in truly incredible backdrops. Get up close to monkeys and so much more in a wildlife park here.
Best festivals in December
A festival is the perfect excuse to get away this December and the world is your oyster. Here are our top choices for festivals around the world in December.
- Festival de Santo Tomas in Guatemala is the annual festival of the patron saint of the small town of Chichcastenango. This festival is hailed as the biggest, loudest and most colorful and makes it the perfect time to visit.
- The traditional Mount Popa Nat festival takes place every December in Burma on the summit of Mount Popa, an ancient pilgrimage site on the top of a volcano. This festival allows visitors an insight into a wonderful celebration in a beautiful location.
- While Rio de Janeiro in Brazil is perhaps best known for its Carnival celebrations, New Year’s Eve is a perfect time to experience the incredible atmosphere of celebration that is rife here no matter what the cause for celebration.
Family vacations in December
December is the perfect time to get away as a family and you’ll be able to spend some incredible time together over the christmas period on a trip to one of our top choices for family getaways for December.
- South Africa will have something to please everyone and children, no matter their age, are bound to love the incredible animals here as you go on safari. Visit the world’s largest Ostrich farm at Oudtshoorn or travel the coast and visit beaches, towns and villages along the way.
- For the ultimate family trip in December, visit Norway and enjoy the winter activities on offer for the whole family. Go dog-sledding or snow shoeing before seeing the Northern Lights as they illuminate the December sky.
- The whole family will love a trip to Australia where they can enjoy so many activities that they’ll never forget. Visit wildlife centres to see kangaroos, koalas and some of Australia’s most famous residents or visit The Great Barrier Reef in a glass-bottomed boat tour.
Honeymoon ideas in December
After a winter wedding, a December honeymoon is a chance to enjoy an incredibly romantic destination and escape to sunnier shores to enjoy some time together in the sun and relax on your first trip as a married couple.
- The white sandy beaches of the Maldives are a classic destination for a honeymoon getaway. Bathe in the warm waters or relax on the beach. Snorkel around the shallows of any of the many islands and feel as though you have the place entirely to yourself, before returning to your classic Maldivian hut on the sand.
- Explore the beaches and small islands surrounding Indonesia. Each beach you come across is more picture perfect that the last and you can wander along the coast enjoying an incredible picture perfect tropical paradise that feels as though it was made just for you.
- For a classic honeymoon, visit Sri Lanka, whose breathtaking beaches and coves will be the perfect place to enjoy one another’s company before relaxing in a spa or luxury hotel. Explore Sri Lankan towns and cities while you’re here and see the bustle that this destination is so well known for. Try incredible authentic Sri Lankan food or even luxury cuisine.