Is this the destination for you?
A trip to Poland
is a good idea for travellers who have already experienced many European countries. They'll be pleasantly surprised here.
You should go if
- Are you mad about history and culture? Without mentioning the sadly renowned concentration camps, you'll be delighted by the architecture of the Polish cities, monuments and churches.
- If you're looking for a good-value destination in Europe, Poland is the place for you. Poland is far less expensive than most other European countries, and notably less touristy.
- Fans of beer and spontaneous celebrations will find their niche in Poland, where the inhabitants won't hesitate to chat to you in the bars.
- If your dream is a nature holiday with opportunities for hiking, you can do so here in the forests and mountains (there's even a desert!), as well as bathing in the lakes, rivers and the sea.
- Do you appreciate authentic destinations? It's good to know that the Polish countryside has kept its old-timey charm despite the country's rapid development.
You shouldn't go if
- But if you dislike the cold... Winter in Poland is harsh. It's better to avoid this season, unless you come well prepared. On the other hand, the continental climate means summer is hot and dry.
- Unless you're nostalgic about communism, the greyish architecture in the majority of the cities might put you off.
- If you're after paradise-like beaches, it's best to head to the Balkans. The beaches in Poland are charming, but overcrowded and filled with families in summer.
- Poland doesn't offer luxury holidays or honeymoon experiences: although there are opportunities for an upgraded experience, it's not the country's speciality, as you're more likely to find lodgings in more modest hostels.
- Got just enough time to visit the capital, nothing more? Except for the historic heart of Warsaw, it's not the best city in the country. It's better to devote two weeks to your Poland trip and leave the city!