Fortunately, there are many more places to visit in Portugal than the major cities of Porto and Lisbon! This 12 day, self-drive tour of Portugal is full of genuine experiences. If you are looking for an off the beaten path adventure, head inland; the authentic Portugal with all the withwashed houses, cork fields, Moorish heritage and of course, the gastronomy. You will also have time to relax and enjoy the sunny beaches of the Algarve region. The rental car & guidebook, with provide you with everything you need to make this trip, the road trip of a lifetime!See more
● Select a trip that inspires you
● Get matched with an expert local agent
● Customize your travels and book with confidence
Arrival in Lisbon...
• Upon arrival, pick up your rental car at the airport
• Hit the road towards Alcacer do Sal, a historical town crowned by castles
• Then, head for Montemor-o-Novo, an unpretentious town In the middle of the Alentejo countryside
• Today, you will visit Évora, a UNESCO World Heritage city
• Be dazzled by its architecture, art, monumental churches, historic squares, white houses and charming lanes
• Drive to Estremoz, one of the “white cities” in Alentejo
• Spend the afternoon strolling around the picturesque hilltop town
• Explore the old walls and the impressive donjon
• Head to Elvas, one of Portugal's hidden gems
• Discover the Portuguese-Spanish influences of the UNESCO World Heritage city, situated on arid plains
• Next up, Marvão, a spectacular medieval walled village perched high on a rocky crest
• Wander around the steep and narrow cobbled streets lined with immaculately whitewashed houses
• Walk up to the impressive fortress dating back to the late 13th century, offering a stunning 360-degree panorama view
• Our journey takes us to Castelo de Vide, nestled among olive groves and chestnut trees in a cool mountain region
• This enchanting little town is a place of flowers, fountains, orchards, chapels and lovely little squares
• Steep alleyways lead up to the castle through a 16th-century village
• In the morning you will go to Alqueva Dam, the largest artificial lake in Europe
• After lunch, continue to Monsaraz village
• Explore the perfectly preserved medieval wall, criss-crossed with cobbled streets and whitewashed bell towers
• Mertola is rarely mentioned in the lists of best villages in Portugal, but it sure is!
• This Portuguese village is stunning and rarely visited by tourists! Sounds like a win-win
• Finally, some time to relax!
• Prepare for golden beaches, stunning scenery and picturesque fishing towns
• Continue to explore this treasure trove of natural gems
• A beach day is in order. Don't forget the sunscreen!
• Continue to explore and relax in the Algarve
• This area is famous for a variety of water activities such as snorkeling, sea kayaking and surfing. Why not take some lessons?
• Return your rental car at Algarve/Lisbon Airport
• By now, you probably realize it's going to be hard to get on that departure flight. Good luck!