A trip to Peru is to visit a destination that travellers dream about. Machu Picchu, the Nazca lines, the towns of Lima and Cusco, a trek in the Andes or an excursion into the Amazon; Peru definitely has everything for tourists and you'll be able to experience multiple holidays in one. According to choices and personal preferences, not everyone puts the same things in their cases. It depends on what you intend to do when you get there.
For clothes it's not too hard, your wardrobe must be suitable for the places that you are going to visit. For example, it's incredibly hot and humid in the Amazon and icy cold high up in the Andes. Mountain gear will also be needed for your treks. So plan accordingly. Be aware that in case you forget something before you leave you can always find beautiful, typically Peruvian style clothes on the numerous markets.
Something to which you must pay particular attention is the preparation of your first-aid kit. As well as basic medicines for treating minor injuries, bring anti-malaria tablets if you are going into the Amazon and perhaps also something to treat acute mountain sickness if you're intending to tackle the highest peaks.
All for all holidays, it's also wise to take a copy of your passport in you lose it, your international driving permit so you can hire a car, an English-Spanish dictionary to help you communicate with the locals and a bank card so that you can withdraw money. Bring a camera or video camera too so that you can bring home wonderful photos to make your colleagues jealous. As always, although it goes without saying, bring your endless spirit of adventure and your thirst for discovery.
What to put into your case
- The open mind and the thirst for discovery that you'll never grow out of
- Your international driving licence so that you can hire a car
- A camera or video camera to record all your memories
- A torch to climb Machu Picchu at night
- A English-Spanish dictionary to help you communicate with the Peruvians
- A bank card for withdrawing money
- A photocopy of your passport in case you lose it
- Good walking boots for your various hikes and treks.
- A remedy for acute mountain sickness for going up into the Andes
- Anti-malaria tablets for a trip into the Amazon
- A first-aid kit for treating minor injuries
- Mountain gear for your ascents of the highest peaks
- Warm clothing for your high-altitude treks
- Light clothing for going into the Amazon