A trip to Mexico is one of the most popular holiday choices in the world. It's Central America's No 1 destination. As it's a well developed country, you'll be able to buy anything that you may have forgotten to pack. But so you don't waste precious time shopping once you're there, it's wise to pack all you'll need.
No matter what time of year you go, it will probably be sunny and hot. Pack lightweight clothes to keep cool in hot weather. If you're heading to the Caribbean or Pacific coasts then no doubt swimming will be on the menu. So remember to pack swimwear and sunscreen to protect you from the hot rays.
A hat, shades and sun lotion will be indespensible and better add some aftersun, in case you get a little burned. It's also worth preparing a little medical kit with basics to treat cuts and bruises. You may want to take something for upset stomachs. Montezuma's revenge is not fun! Most importantly, take a really strong insect repellent. The mosquitoes are particularly bloodthirsty.
To immortalize your memories and make your entourage green with envy, pack a camera or camcorder, along with memory sticks. As the marine life is amazing, an underwater camera will be an added plus. You'll find ATM machines in all towns, so it's wise to use your card rather than carry too much cash. If you're planning to hire a vehicle when there, think about getting an International Driving Licence. US and UK licences are accepted but better safe than sorry. One final thing you should do is make a copy of your passport, in case the original gets lost.
What to put in your suitcase
- An International Driving Licence to rent a vehicle once there
- A camera or camcorder to record your trip
- An English/Spanish dictionary so you easily communicate with Mexicans (remember to pronounce the 's' at the end!)
- A bank/credit card for ATMs
- A photocopy of your passport in case of loss
- An insect repellent to keep the mosquitoes at bay
- A basic medical kit
- A good sunscreen
- Your favorite swimwear to show off on the beach
- Lightweight clothes suited to hot weather