The Balkans, Croatia offers two sorts of very different journeys: firstly the coast with its many islands and magnificent fortified towns with Venetian influences, but also its hinterlands, with wonderful wild and arid mountains. Packing your suitcase for Croatia will depend on what sort of trip you are planning.
Above all, Croatia is first and foremost its coast and islands! So it would be unthinkable to travel to Croatia without packing swimming things: a swimsuit and towel but also a diving mask and snorkel to explore the sea depths and which are greatly overpriced there. Remember to take plastic water shoes to protect your feet from the thousands of sea urchins along the Croatian coast. Sunscreen is also needed!
The terrain is often quite rugged and even if you are planning to stay on the islands or on the shore, the coast too is often rugged and a good solid pair of shoes will be useful. This is all the more important if you are planning walking in the hinterlands, where enclosed shoes will protect you from jagged rocks and the many snakes.
Finally the old town areas of coastal cities such as Dubrovnik and Split are often relatively smart. Whether it be in bars or restaurants, the clientele often dresses elegantly. You may find yourself rather out of place in your shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops! So remember to take a few shirts with you.
Here is a list of things to consider when you pack your suitcase for Croatia.
- A first-aid kit
- Waterproof clothing such as a jacket or a poncho
- A small English-Croatian dictionary or phrase book
- A travel journal to record your experiences
- A head torch or pocket torch if you are going to the countryside or going camping
- A camera and a spare memory card
- Good walking equipment including shoes, trousers, fleece, etc.
- Diving mask and snorkel
- Water shoes to protect against sea urchins
- A towel and swimsuit for the beaches on the Adriatic sea.