You have heard about it and read about - but unless you experience a journey along the the Silk Road you will never truly grasp the wonders of this ancient trade route that connected the East and West. Walk back through time in the footsteps of merchants and adventurers as you immerse yourself in history, culture, bizarre natural wonders and unforgettable experiences. Beginning in Van, the pearl of the east, through stunning Cappadocia and onto legendary Istanbul this carefully designed itinerary will leave you in speechless. Turkey and the Silk Road are waiting!See more
This itinerary has been crafted by our Local Agency with one idea in mind: to inspire you. Every element can be adapted to your needs and your interests, from duration to accommodation and activities.
Van, the pearl of the east...
• Upon arrival our representative will meet you at Van airport
• Transfer to Gevas and take a ferry to visit the small island of Akdamar; home to the famous 10th century Armenian holy cross cathedral (1h)
• Continue to Van Castle, a massive stone fortification overlooking the ruins of Tushpa
• In the evening we return to Van city centre
• In the morning depart to Dogubeyazit, one of the most important settlements of the Silk Road (2h30)
• Visit the Muradiye waterfall, a paradise of natural beauty
• Explore the Ishak Pasha palace, the most distinguished example of 18th century Ottoman architecture
• Continue the fascinating tour through eastern Anatolia towards Kars (3h30), famous for its historical sites and natural beauty
• Visit the caravanserai of Harmandoven, a 12th century example of Seljuk period stonework
• Head towards ancient Ani; the capital of Armenian province in the 9th century
• In the early evening we arrive in Kars
• Visit the castle of Kars, the hilltop citadel overlooking the city
• In the early afternoon we depart towards Erzurum (3h); known as the city of history
• Walk through the city centre and visit historical Rustem pasha caravanserai, the Erzurum castle, and a 12th century mosque
• In the evening we head to historical Erzurum houses museum-restaurant for dinner
• Tour the city centre of Erzurum and visit the cifte minareli Madrasa; Ulu Cami and Yakutiye Madrasa
• Continue to Tercan, a small village famous for its Mama Hatun Caravanserai and Mausoleum
• Arrive in Sivas; an important centre of trade along the Silk Road and junction of the caravan routes to Persia and Baghdad (5h)
• Explore the most important sights in Sivas: Ulu cami mosque, Sifaiye madrasa, a former hospital converted to a madrasa, Cifte Minare madrasa, and the Kesik and Egri bridges
• Continue towards Cappadocia, a true wonder of nature (3h30)
• Visit Pasabaglari valley, formerly a monastic retreat known as monk’s valley
Optional activity: Turkish bath (Hamam)
Cappadocia one of the world's best balloon flight areas...
• Visit Goreme open air museum; one of the most beautiful valleys in Cappadocia
• Marvel at spectacular formations and colors of the Red valley
• Continue to Uchisar village to visit the high viewpoint known as “The fortress”
Sunrise hot air balloon ride over one of the world's best balloon flight areas!
• Pottery workshop in Avanos
4,000 year old trading center on the Silk Road...
• Depart Cappadocia towards Karatay Han caravanserai, one of the most beautiful Seljuk Turkish caravanserais (2h30)
• Spend the afternoon in Kayseri, located at the foot of Mount Erciyes Volcano
• Walk through Kayseri’s old city centre and the 800 years old bazaar
• Transfer to Kayseri airport and fly to Istanbul. Continue to your hotel in the historical centre
• Begin with a tour of Istanbul; the historical peninsula, Topkapi palace, blue mosque, Hagia Sophia and famous grand bazaar
• Pass through Hippodrome square, once a sporting and social center of Constantinople
• Our last stop takes us to famous Kapali Carsi bazaar; one of the largest and oldest covered markets in the world!
• We close the day with a cup of traditional Turkish coffee while enjoying the authentic atmosphere of Istanbul
• Transfer to Ataturk airport for departure
• Hope you enjoyed your journey along the Silk Road
The price reflects this specific itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.
|2 to 3 Pax||4 to 5 Pax||6 to 8 Pax||Single Supplement|
|Price per person||$1,540||$1,250||$1,120||$320|