Pack your bags and prepare for a 12-day tour of South Africa's famous Garden Route. Set off from the beaches and panoramic views of Cape Town at your own pace in a handy rental car, before heading down the Cape Wine Route - stopping en-route to try local wines and cheeses - embark on a whale-watching excursion in Hermanus Bay, get your safari on in Gondwana Game Reserve, home to the Big Five, and Addo Elephant Park, and sit back overlooking the stunning Knysa Lagoon at sunset before arriving in Port Elizabeth. The perfect combination of wildlife, history, and incredible landscapes!See more
This itinerary has been crafted by our Local Agency with one idea in mind: to inspire you. Every element can be adapted to your needs and your interests, from duration to accommodation and activities.
• Meet and greet at Cape Town International Airport.
• Pick up your rental car from the airport - thats right, it is road trip time!
• Head off on a city tour of Cape Town, including the cable car up to Table Mountain.
• Breakfast, then boat trip to Robben Island for a museum visit. Todays visit can be quite emotional, we advise all travelers to take more in and listen rather than speak out.
• Take a cable car up to view the panoramic summit over Table Bay.
• The option to hike is always available and we will recommend routes and timings that best suit you!
Coast roads and expansive blue oceans
• Set off on a full-day visit of the Cape Peninsula.
• Stop off at Hout Bay to cruise around Seal Island, or head to the beautiful Chapman's Peak Drive.
• Trip to Cape Point's Lighthouse.
• After breakfast, we are off again on a full day visit of the Cape Wine route (the longest in the world).
• Stop off at various wine estates where you'll be welcomed in to taste local wines and cheeses.
• A visit to the beautiful seaside town of Hermanus. Quaint shops and stalls line the coast.
• Set off on a famous whale-watching excursion, between June and December are the recommended times for this activity
• If you opt to come during off-season whale watching - we have plenty of other activities for you to participate in.
• Departure for Gondwana Game Reserve, home to the Big Five. Exciting day ahead!
• Safaris can be organized either as a guided horseback tour, or a 4×4 drive.
• After lunch, additional activities include hiking, bird watching and fishing.
• Enjoy this evening nearby all the action of today, inside the game reserve.
• Enjoy a hearty breakfast, then set off on your morning 4x4 game drive.
• After lunch, head back to the Jeep for another game drive to spot the park's wildlife.
• Binoculars at the ready at all times today!
• Welcome to the magical and captivating Knysna.
• The town surrounds an exquisite lagoon where you can cruise and browse the town's famous artisan works in the local markets.
• Get lost in the good energy of this town after long days and game drives.
• Depart for a tour of Port Elizabeth. Head to Addo National Park, one of the most wildlife-rich in the country.
• Upon departure, spend some time exploring the small town of Plettenberg and its famous beach.
• Hiking/walking lovers, head to Tsitsikamma forest, or continue on to the Storm River mouth for a panoramic view across the National Park.
Snap a photo of these grand creatures
• We recommend a visit to Addo Elephant Park, a reserve dedicated to the protection of these incredible animals.
• It would be an opportunity to learn more about the conservation efforts happening in South Africa and what the future holds for elephants.
The price reflects this specific itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.