Carbon Neutral 100%
Top destinations of the moment in Middle East
  • Explore travel ideas
Trip Types
  • Travel Style
  • Interests and Activities
  • Tour Ideas by Month
  • Continents and Regions
An update from Evaneos

Oman, a land of mosques

Like most countries in this geographical area, you will observe during your trip to Oman that Islam is the major religion.

The different religions

During your trip to Omanit won't take long for you to realise that the main religion, followed by the vast majority, is Islam. Indeed, 86% of the population is Muslim, but if one takes into account the Omanis alone, this figures rises to 100% who embrace the Islamic faith. The remaining 14% is divided between Christians and Hindus. These last two groups are often immigrants and not of Omani stock. You will find a mosque in every city, neighbourhood, in almost every street and even in the most remote villages of the desert. To be more specific regarding the Muslims of Oman, you should know that 25% of the faithful embrace Sunni Islam. The remaining 75% are Ibadites. Among the precepts of this branch, which originated in Mesopotamia, the followers of Ibadism must observe a very large degree of tolerance toward other religions.

In Oman


To avoid arriving in Oman with certain prejudices and false ideas, it may be worthwhile to have some knowledge of the bases of the religion. First of all, the founder of Islam is Muhammad. He has been considered as the Prophet since God dictated the Qur'an to him. Islam is based on five fundamental pillars. The salât or prayer that is practised five times per day, depending on the position of the sun during the day. The zakat is the alms, which must be given discretely and are intended for the most disadvantaged. The hadj, which is the pilgrimage to Mecca that every Muslim must accomplish at least once in their life. Finally, Ramadan, which is the month of fasting. The Shahhadah or the profession of faith is recited before each prayer or to convert to Islam. Other practices are also very important, including circumcision, ablutions before prayer, the celebration of the Eid and the fact of not eating certain foods, such as pork.

David Debrincat
459 contributions
Updated 24 November 2015
Experience added!
You can add more experiences to your trip itinerary before sending it to a local agency
View my trip itinerary