The contents of your suitcase should be based on what you wish to do in Chile, as indeed the country offers so many possibilities that it will be really difficult to make a correct choice for the country.
One of the unique things that it is indispensable to take is sunblock lotion. Indeed, the country is very highly exposed to ultra violet rays. In fact, it is common to come across notice boards showing the level of danger of the place where you are.
Tampons are very expensive in Chile, so ladies it would be wise to remember to get well-stocked up on these before you leave, if you are going to need them.
The rest depends on what sort of tourism you want to do and the regions that you are visiting during your trip to Chili. For example, if you just feel like going to the beach for a swim, take what you will need for this. Take note if you are going near Viña del mar, the spot is renowned for receiving the jet set, so remember to take along clothes that are a little more stylish to go out for a stroll or to a restaurant.
If you are more inclined to adventure tourism, you will most certainly go down south and maybe to Torres del Paine National Park, in which case you will need all your hiking gear.
If you go to Chiloe island, the weather will be humid and rainy, so do not forget your raincoat.
Lastly, in certain neighbourhoods of Santiago or a few cities that are reputed to be a little less safe (like Valparaiso), do not hesitate to carry your identity documents and money in a pouch worn close to the body.
As everything will depend on the trip that you intend to make, here is an example of articles that should be in your suitcase for visiting Chile.
- A water bottle for trekking and also for the beach
- A camera to immortalise the most spectacular scenery
- A pouch for all your important documents to be kept close to your body
- Sandals for the beach
- Suitable shoes for trekking on glaciers
- Warm clothes so you can approach the glaciers
- A swimsuit to enjoy the beaches
- Feminine tampons as these are expensive over there
- A raincoat if you are travelling in the south
- An elegant set of clothes for going out
- Sunglasses and sunblock lotion, for the UV rays are dangerous in Chile