This scenic trek, through spectacular mountain scenery, along the ancient route from Paro to Thimphu offers a perfect trekking experience for anyone in the beautiful Himalayan Kingdom of Bhutan. The trail follows high ridges through a gorgeous natural landscape of pine and dwarf rhododendrons at altitudes ranging between 2,400–4,200m and enjoys splendid panoramas of the snowy peaks, including Mt. Gangkar Puensum (the highest unclimbed peak in the world). It also includes the must-see sights and takes in the very best of western Bhutan.See more
This itinerary has been crafted by our Local Agency with one idea in mind: to inspire you. Every element can be adapted to your needs and your interests, from duration to accommodation and activities.
• Transfer from Airport to the hotel.
• Afterwards, depending on your arrival, you can visit the temple of Kyichu Lhakhang. This 7th century monastery is one of the oldest and sacred landmarks that introduced Buddhism into Bhutan.
• The rest of the evening is at leisure to relax – so why not go for a short orientation walk in theParo town?
• Tonight enjoy a welcome drink and dinner with BGT.
• Accommodation in Paro.
• We begin our day with a short hike to Paro Taktshang Monastery (Tiger’s Nest). No visit to Bhutan would be complete without a trip to Taktshang.
• The monastery is perched on the edge of a steep cliff, 900m above the Paro floor valley. The trail is a wide, uphill the entire way but not overly steep, on the well-maintained trail through beautiful pine forest, trees festooned with Spanish Moss and fluttering prayer flags.
• Besides a cultural experience, this short hike up to 3,180m will help acclimatise for our trek ahead on the following morning....
• Accommodation in Paro.
• After breakfast drive a little higher up to the historic Ta Dzong, the national museum of Bhutan. Here we begin a short trekking through apple orchards and cultivated terracing to the dzong.
• We overnight in a splendid spot just below the pass in a small meadow at an altitude of 3,480m.
Accommodation in camp
• Today the route climbs through thick alpine forests and dwarf rhododendron trees and reaches Jangchulakha.
• Here we can admire the wonderful views from the ridge of Mt. Jhomolhari and the surrounding snow-capped mountains.
• Accommodation in camp.
• The trail follows the ridge, then descends and follows the ridge back to Jangchula Pass. From here we have a sensational view of the valleys below and the distant Himalayan peaks on a clear day.
• Today our trail descends to Jimilangtso Lake (Sand Ox Lake). The lake is famous for its giant sized trouts..
• Accommodation in camp.
• The trail traverses through dwarf rhododendron trees and Janetsho Lake and passes by yak herder camps. We continue up to the larger Simkotra Lake.
• Descending from a small pass we eventually arrive to our campsite at Labana (4,130m).
• Accommodation in Camp Labana
• Today the trek begins with a gradual climb to the Phumela, adorned with beautiful fluttering prayer flags.
• We continue on through a forest of blue pine until the road head at Sangaygang. Our transport will meet us at the road point and check-in to your hotel.
• Rest of the day is at leisure to relax and enjoy, we have allowed some time for this and also to explore the surroundings of Thimphu city. For exemple you could visit the splendid Kuenselphodrang (the largest Buddha Dordenma statue in the world) on a hill offering a panoramic view of the Thimphu valley.
• Accommodation in Thimphu.
• After breakfast, travel to Punakha. En route we will drive up to Tashigang Gonpa in Hongtsho. From here, enjoy one of the most picturesque hikes to the temple Lungchutse Gonpa, where one can enjoy 360° view of the breathtaking Himalayan mountain.
• The trial will take you through a forest of moss-covered rhododendrons, gigantic hemlocks, junipers, and bamboo undergrowth.
• After lunch, continue your journey into the sub-tropical Punakha and Wangdue Phodrang valley. We will then Visit the Punakha Dzong which now serves as the administrative centre of Punakha district and the central monastic body. • Accommodation in Punakha.
• Today’s tour includes a hike to the fascinating temple Khamsum Yuelley Namgyal Chorten. It is majestically located on a ridge with stunning views of the countryside. There is no temple in Bhutan built as elaborately as this.
• Then we head back to Thimphu. The journey passes through the awe-inspiring mountains and lush vegetation. En route discover the Royal Botancal Park at Lampelri. The park features a variety of forest types: alpine, cool temperate broadleaf forest, old growth of broadleaf and conifer forests, etc.
• Accommodation in a farmhouse in Thimphu, a unique experience where food and drinks are served by the housemother and where you can intermingle with the locals and participate in the local daily activities (including how to prepare a Bhutanese meal) if you so wish, etc.
You won’t regret for adventuring into this bit of lifetime fun!
• This morning, travel through the lush valleys and the awe-inspiring mountains to Haa. Haa is one of the most beautiful and isolated areas in the Kingdom, adorned with pristine alpine forests and tranquil mountain peaks. Haa also offers countless monasteries and other sights for tourists. Other places of interest include the Haa town and surrounding areas.
• Enjoy some leisure time in Haa valley in the evening.
• Accommodation in Haa.
• Today we will visit Paro Taktshang, National Museum, Drukair and Bhutan Airlines.
• In the afternoon you’ll have time to hike up from Shaba to Drakarpo monastery located on a high cliff. From this point you can see almost the whole of Paro valley.
• The evening is at leisure to explore the Paro town and may wish to hunt for souvenirs in Handicraft Shops.
Accommodation in Paro.
• Transfer to Paro Airport for your onward journey accompanied by your guide from Bhutan Green Travel.
We hope you've had an amazing time in Bhutan and look forward to seeing you again soon! Tashi Delek!
The price reflects this specific itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.
Price Per Adult
Prices Starting From
|September 2019 to November 2019||$3,540|
|January 2020 to February 2020||$2,940|
|March 2020 to May 2020||$3,540|
|June 2020 to August 2020||$2,940|
|December 2020 to December 2020||$2,940|