Where clothes are concerned, everything of course depends on the time of year you decide to travel. As a general rule, dress as you would if you were going on holiday to Portugal. No matter what the time of year, and even in summer, consider taking some longer, warmer clothing with you as the wind can quickly turn chilly in the evenings. And don't forget your trunks/swimming costume if you want to be able to show off on the beach and dive into the waters of the Atlantic Ocean. You will also get to go on some wonderful walks and hikes in the Azores, so good walking boots/shoes are essential.
Preparing your first-aid kit will also be a stress-free experience. Simply ensure you have all the usual plasters, bandages and ointments required to deal with the minor aches and pains, cuts and bruises of daily life etc. If you plan to do any long walks, you will also need plasters/dressings to help with blisters. And finally, make sure you take a good quality sun cream to protect you from the sun's rays and enable you to sunbathe safely. A tube of after sun treatment will also come in handy to soothe the pain if you do happen to get sunburnt.
To ensure you have something to show your friends and family when you return from your trip and demonstrate what a beautiful destination the Azores is, consider taking a camera or camcorder with you so you can capture some wonderful images. And finally, you will need a suitable credit/debit card to enable you to withdraw money and pay for things during your stay.
What to include in your suitcase
- Light clothing in summer
- Longer clothing to wear in the evening
- Your trunks/swimming costume so you can dive and swim in the ocean
- Good walking boots/shoes so you can go hiking
- A first-aid kit containing all the standard basic items
- A good quality sun cream so you can sunbathe and tan safely
- A photocopy of your passport in case you lose the original
- An English-Portuguese dictionary to help you communicate with the locals
- A suitable credit/debit card so you can withdraw cash and pay for things
- A camera or camcorder so you can capture all those wonderful memories of your trip