The first stage of the Camino Francés, the French Way starts in the pretty walled town of St Jean Pied de Port in the French Basque Country. From there, it takes pilgrims across the Pyrenees, into the city of Pamplona. This is one of the most challenging stretches of the Camino de Santiago, but also one of the most spectacular ones, particularly if you take the ‘Napoleon Route‘ over the Roncesvalles Pass. Along the Camino Francés route, you will meet fellow pilgrims from all over the world, as St Jean is one of the most popular starting points.See more
This itinerary has been crafted by our Local Agency with one idea in mind: to inspire you. Every element can be adapted to your needs and your interests, from duration to accommodation and activities.
Let the journey begin...
• Arrive in Saint Jean Pied de Port, and head to the hotel.
• Why not start exploring this beautiful city?
• The French Way, Camino Francés, starts here in St Jean Pied de Port!
• Your Camino begins after your night in Saint Jean Pied de Port.
• This is the most challenging, but beautiful parts of the route: the Napoleon Route!
• The ‘Napoleon Route’ over the Roncesvalles Pass (1450m) starts with a steep climb.
• However, the spectacular mountain views of the Pyrenees are worth the effort!
Light Option: Split the walk from St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles into two stages of 12km and 13km and walk at a more relaxed pace. Stay overnight in the village of Valcarlos. We would recommend taking this option during the winter months when snow can make the higher route impassable.
Architecture of all types
• Roncesvalles (‘Orregaga’ in Basque) is a popular Camino starting point for Spanish pilgrims.
• Visit the St James chapel, as well as the Royal Collegiate Church of Saint Mary!
• After your night, the route continues through beech and oak woods before entering Espinal.
• Cross two mountain passes Alto de Mezquiriz and Alto de Erro, then descen to the village Zubiri.
• Make sure to see the medieval bridge, Puente de la Rabia, before tucking in for the night.
Beautiful nature and gorgeous food!
• Today, follow the river to Larrasoaña, an important stop for pilgrims in Medieval times.
• Approach the city of Pamplona, with its many sights, and gorgeous local gastronomy!
• Explore the cathedral and taste some of the fantastic local wine.
• Any Hemingway fans? Grab a coffee in one of the writer’s favorite spots: Plaza del Castillo!
The price reflects this specific itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.
|Price per person||$410|