Winter in Norway is a truly special time of the year. Waterfalls turn to daggers of ice and green hills surrender and bow to dramatic snow covered peaks. With fewer travelers around, the stillness of it all gives off a feeling you've got the whole place to yourself and It's easy to engage in conversation with friendly locals, something beyond just taking in the sights. After a couple days in Oslo, prepare to immerse yourself in winter wonderland. Experience one of the world's greatest scenic rail journeys, experience the real Norwegian outdoors in the company of expert guides, sleep under the starry night sky in an 'arctic dome', chase powder, sample delicious local cuisine and be humbled by it all.See more
● Select a trip that inspires you
● Get matched with an expert local agent
● Customize your travels and book with confidence
Welcome to Norway...
• Begin with an easy commute between the airport and the city center via local train (20min)
• Walk to your hotel and settle in before you get ready to explore! Here are a few suggestions on how to do Oslo in winter:
• Explore the Vigeland Sculpture Park, home of 200 larger than life sculptures
• Visit the wonderful Christmas market in Karl Johans gate and at Youngstorget (December)
• Go Ice Skating at Forgner Station and visit Lysaker harbor with the local train
• Walk aroundAker brygge and Tjulvholmen
• Stop at castle park of Oslo, where the Norwegain king and queen live
• Pop into a nice coffee shop - Seems like there's an endless supply!
• For dinner, if you're looking for Oslo's trendiest spots, head to Grünerløkka. Our favorites include: Night Hawk Diner, Villa Paraiso & Colonialen
• Meet up with your local guide for a private tour of Oslo tailored to your interests!
• Visit the highlights, stroll along cobblestone lanes of Damstredet, check out the iconic Akerselva, marvel at street art around Grünerløkka and people watch at funky cafes
• Be an endless pit at Mathallen Food Hall, where you can savor the flavors of Norway and abroad at its more than 30 eateries!
• Enjoy the afternoon as you like and take advantage of the recommendations you receive from your local specialist
• In the morning, catch your train west to Flåm
• Upon arrival in Myrdal, change trains and jump on the Flåm Railway - one of the world's greatest scenic rail journeys
• Be sure to watch for the Kjosfossen waterfall (to put your FOMO at ease, the train will stop here for a bit)
• Visit Ægir for a drink or Flåm Bakery for a tasteful cinnamon roll.
• Then, embark the fjord cruise to Gudvangen, a UNESCO World Heritage area (2h)
• From here, take a local bus to Voss, where you will be picked up by your friendly hosts and be served a fantastic home made dinner!
• Enjoy a full day in Voss, the gateway to Sognefjord and Hardangerfjord and perfect location for Alpine and cross country skiing
• Your host will provide you with great recommendations, as well as drive you to and from the ski resort
• Or, spend the day at the cozy hotel and listen to the history from the 10th generation owners!
• Also consider a snowshoe hike, a popular and unforgettable experience
• Either rent a car for the next couple of days, or take the local bus. Either way you're heading to Odda in Hardangerfjord!
• Take advantage of the area's glaciers, waterfalls & fjords in Folgefonna National Park
• Check out great bars, urban coffee shops, and unique restaurants in and around Odda
• We suggest the Floating Bear, and nearby Tjødnadalen, where you can experience organic dining at a working farm!
• Start early and hike to Trolltunga to experience the real Norwegian outdoors in the company of an expert guide*
• Overnight in our Trolltunga "arctic dome", an igloo type accommodation with see-through ceiling and wall*
• This winter wonderland sleepover adventure meets peace and solitude unlike anywhere else
*The Duration of the hike is in total 28 hours (2x14Km) Good physical condition required. Includes: hiking poles, snowshoes, headlight, dinner, breakfast and a taste of hardanger
**Overnight winter hike season is between end of Feb to June. In Nov, Dec and Jan, you can also hike with a guide but you will stay in Odda for the night
• Wake up to and savor a truly amazing sunrise near Trolltunga
• Then, head back down to Skjeggerdal. Your guide will tell you insightful stories about the area and local life
• Spend the night in Odda and rest your legs after the challenging hike. You will sleep well tonight!
• Enjoy your morning in Hardangerfjord before you take the bus to Voss
• Enjoy a few hours of downtime in Voss
• Hop aboard the train to Geilo, a popular ski resort with a charming city center
• Transfer to your hotel and recharge for tomorrow's adventure!
• Join a local for cross-country skiing in Geilo. He will pick you up at the hotel too!
• Nothing beats local knowledge! Get ready for untouched snow, silence and no tourists in sight!
• Get out there you powder hound!
ski equipment included
• Get on the train to Oslo
• Upon arrival, take advantage of anything you may have missed at the beginning of the trip
• Perhaps head back to the waterfront and historic core for dinner
• Or, visit the up-and-coming Grünerløkka, for a fix of hip restaurants and bars
• Spend your last few hours strolling around Oslo
• We hope you enjoyed your stay.
The price reflects this specific itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.
|Season||Price Per Adult|
Average trip price
|All year round||$3,130|