The Aurora Borealis is a breathtaking natural phenomenon. Starting in the Northern Lights City, this short self-drive trip includes stunning highlights: hunting the Northern lights, enjoying a dog sled ride, and meeting a Sami family and their reindeer herd. Stay overnight in an authentic fishing lodge, in an original Sami “lavvu” yurt, and even an ice hotel!
Time to visit: January through AprilSee more
This itinerary has been crafted by our Local Agency with one idea in mind: to inspire you. Every element can be adapted to your needs and your interests, from duration to accommodation and activities.
A land of mystique...
• Drive your rental car to a cosy fishing lodge by the Alta River
• Take time out in the sauna or enjoy a hot
chocolate by the fireplace
• Slip on some snowshoes and walk by the
nearby river side
• Enjoy breakfast on us before heading out for your dog sledding experience
• Spend a full day outdoors in the forest, the frozen river or the mountains
• Enjoy the amazing local cuisine at your lodge.
Keep an eye out for the Aurora Borealis
Heart of Norway...
• Meet a Sami family who will share their daily life
• Learn of the culture and history of Sami, and
• Spend the night in the lavvu and sleep on a bed
of reindeer hides.
• After a Sami breakfast in the lavvu, take the snow mobile back to Kautokeino.
• Visit Juhl’s silver gallery, famous for its handmade
jewelry before heading back towards Alta
• Sleep in an igloo hotel where the exterior and
interior are made of ice
• Enjoy a warm sauna before breakfast
• Drive to the airport and deliver your rental car to the agency
• We hope you experienced the Aurora Borealis -
The price reflects this specific itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.
|Price per person||$1,600|