All aboard for one of the great Japanese journeys, the Kurobe Alpine Route! The route also known as the 'Roof of Japan' passes through the dynamic scenery of Mt. Tateyama in the Japan Alps! Admirers of stunning landscapes and nature in full bloom who prefer the comfort of a comfortable seat instead of hiking boots and blisters will fall in love with this blend of culture, sights, famed cherry blossoms and a relaxed approach to travel. The eye candy doesn't stop there. During this 14 day journey, you will also discover Kitakami and the Okitama Cherry Blossom Road, arguably two of the best cherry blossom viewing spots!See more
This itinerary has been crafted by our Local Agency with one idea in mind: to inspire you. Every element can be adapted to your needs and your interests, from duration to accommodation and activities.
Welcome to Japan!
• Pick up your JR Pass from the kiosk at the airport
• Transfer to your accommodation in Iwate, a large prefecture on the pacific coast
• Begin exploring your surroundings at your own pace!
• Enjoy an uncluttered day in Iwate, the former cultural capital of Japan
• If you wish, visit the Konkikijo hall, the rival of Kyoto's Kinkakuji Temple
• Have a go at one of the famous bizarre eating contests in Morioka
• Kitakami is one of the most popular cherry blossom viewing spots
• Catch the blooms at their peak in Tenshochi Park
• Witness the park turning into a beautiful oasis of green and blue (mid April)
• Head out to the Geibikei Gorge, a 2km long gorge carved out by the Satetsu river
• Check out "Geibi" meaning "Lion's Nose", the limestone formation resembling just that
• Transfer from Iwate to Yamagata, home of the sacred Yamadera Temple
• Check into your hotel and spend the day exploring your area
• In the evening, enjoy a nice Japanese style dinner at Uesugi Hakushakutei
• Spend the day enjoying Cherry blossoms, from the comfort of a local train
• Visit key places along the route including Eboshiyama, Kama no Koshi, & Isazawa no Kubozakura
• Before departing from Yamagata be sure to transfer your luggage in the morning
• Arrive in Omachi Nagano, one of the starting tails of the Kurobe Alpine route
• Rest up for your morning journey through the Alpine route
• Head to Toyama city from Nagano
• Check out of your hotel and start your journey at Shin Omachi Station
• Bring plenty of snacks and water!
• You'll be visiting key places such as the Kurobe Dam, Murodo, the Alpine Snow Wall and riding along the Tateyama Cable Car
• In the evening, you'll reach Tateyama station where you'll check into your accommodation
• Head to Takayama, a quaint town reminiscent of old Japan
• Visit Sanmachi Street (Old Town of Takayama) and Takayama Jinya Historical Government Office
• Stop in Hida Folk Village, where traditional Japanese thatched roof buildings are converted into museums
• Shirakawago, a UNESCO World Heritage site is easily accessible from Takayama City
• Stroll around Myozenji Temple & Museum, founded in 1748
• Marvel at the gassho-zukuri (traditional farmhouses)
• Check out of the hotel and transfer to Tokyo by bullet train
• Take the rest of the evening to relax after your journey
• Start the day with a visit to the beautiful Shinjuku Gyoen National Park
• Wander around the spectacular Japanese and western-style gardens
• Take the bus to Mt Fuji, the highest mountain in Japan and inspiration behind many poems and songs
• Climb up the 400 stairs to the Chureito Pagoda built as a peace memorial
• While at the top, enjoy one of the best views of the holy mountain
• Then, head to the wonderful Oishi Park next to Lake Kawaguchiko
• Stroll along "Flowers Road" with its various flowers that bloom seasonally along the shore promenade
• Your journey comes to an end today
• We hope you enjoyed your time in Japan!
The price reflects this specific itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.
Price Per Adult
Prices Starting From
|All year round||$1,880|