This 8-day self-drive tour of Iceland will take you off the beaten track. Travel along the classic South Coast route of Iceland and explore the lesser-known Eastfjords and Northern regions of the island. You’ll discover a beautiful combination of the famed highlights and the stunning smaller gems of this amazing country. Get in touch with our local Agency for more inspiration and to create the perfect itinerary for you Iceland road trip.See more
● Select a trip that inspires you
● Get matched with an expert local agent
● Customize your travels and book with confidence
Arrival in Reykjavik, the northernmost capital of the world...
• Arrive at Keflavik International Airport, time to start the adventure!
• Marvel at lunar landscapes and an ancient lava field. You trip has already begun.
• Spend the afternoon wandering around the city. Grab a coffee, stretch the legs and breathe in some very healthy island air!
Experience the highlights of the South Coast…
• See Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss Waterfalls. Make sure to bring a rain jacket, or perhaps you will want to feel the full force of these natural beauties.
• Later on make your way to the black beach of Reynisfjara. Volcanic rocks have created a unique beach landscape.
• Sleep in the tranquil serenity of Vik village.
• Drive along the edge of Vatnajokull glacier. This is Europes largest ice mass and truly a natural wonder to behold.
• Walk to Svartifoss Waterfall or along the glacier if you are feeling more adventurous.
• Weave around icebergs in Jokulsarlon lagoon. Our agent will be ready with activity recommendations to help you experience this area at your own pace.
Goodbye to the waterfalls and black-sand beaches of the south…
• Head East on the high mountain pass of Öxi. Today we take to the open road. Clean the windshield because the landscape is stunning!
• Experience Iceland’s oldest lighthouse. Trade off natural for historical on this stop along the coast.
• Spend the night at Egilstadir, capital of the East and another typical seaside village.
• Discover the geothermal area of Námaskarð. That;s right, Blue Lagoon isn't the only one!
• Explore craters and lava mazes around Myvatn. Strap on the boots for some hikes that will work up a sweat and pays off with great views.
• Take a relaxing soak in the Green Lagoon. After a full day of exploring, it is time to treat yourself.
A playground for hikers and nature enthusiasts…
• Drive up Tjornes Peninsula toward Husavik.
• Hike in Asbyrgi canyon or Jokulsargljufur Park. Our local agent will be able to offer recommended hikes and trails that match your interests.
• Visit Dettifoss, most powerful waterfall in Europe.
There’s still time for more landscapes…
• Look out for seals on the shores of Hvammstangi
• Check out some hot springs and waterfalls. There is always more to see on this volcanic island!
• Return to Reykjavik for a final walk downtown.
It’s time to head home...
• Take a detour to the Blue Lagoon geothermal spa before heading to the airport.
• Drop off your car at Keflavik Airport
• Catch your flight onwards! We hope you enjoyed your time here!
The price reflects this specific itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.
|Season||Price Per Adult|
Average trip price
|From November to March||$1,170|
|From May to September||$1,800|