Southern Germany’s Romantic Road is a picturesque 350km route through the forests and mountains of Bavaria. Stretching from Würzburg, a wine-region city to Füssen, in the foothills of the Alps, near King Ludwig II’s iconic Neuschwanstein Castle. This 12 day self-drive road trip is a great mix of cultural exploration, fairytale castles, organized activities, and jaw dropping scenery. Enjoy the ride!See more
● Select a trip that inspires you
● Get matched with an expert local agent
● Customize your travels and book with confidence
• Your driver will pick you up at the airport with a name board at arrivals and bring you to your hotel
• Overnight in Frankfurt
• Use your 24 hour hop on hop off tour ticket to explore Frankfurt’s sights
• Check out Saint Paul’s Cathedral, Goethe House, riverbank museums”, “Sachsenhausen” Pub District and “Römer” Town Hall
• In the afternoon, take a skyline ship cruise on the Main river (not included)
• Pick up your rental car after breakfast and start your road trip! First stop, Heidelberg
• Join a public cabrio bus sightseeing tour (40min). The open roof of the cabrio Bus offers new perspectives and is a must for all photographers
• Visit the highlights in the Weststadt before continuing to the magnificent villas of Neuenheim
• Day at leisure - we recommend discovering the area around Heidelberg
• Visit the famous Speyer Cathedral
• Check out Neustadt, a small town, famous for its gothic abbey church, weekly markets and the Hambacher palace
• Continue to Bad Dürkheim to visit the famous giant vine drum. We recommend stopping at a local wine restaurant for lunch and some local wines!
• Today you will begin your journey down the Romantic Road - a trade route during the middle ages. First stop, Wuerzburg
• After check-in, set off on a 40-minutes city tour by train
• You will hear funny stories and serious facts, medieval and current affairs, glorious and cruel moments in history, romantic and passionate tales
• Continue to your next destination on the Romantic Road: Rothenburg ob der Tauber! (1h)
• In the evening you will accompany the Rothenburg Night Watchman on his entertaining and informative rounds through the darkness
• Visit the one and only German Christmas museum on your own - open all year!
• The exhibition comprises more than 5,000 exhibits, giving an overview of the history and the secular customs of Christmas festivities from the 4th century up to the 1950s
• Drive to Füssen (3h). En route we recommend stopping in medieval towns of Dinkelsbühl, Nördlingen or Harburg
• Visit Germany’s fairy-tale castle: Neuschwanstein Castle!
• Marvel at the breathtaking scenery and fantastic interior decorations
• Proceed to Linderhof Palace, built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria
• Explore the beautiful and richly decorated Rococo-styled rooms
• Continue to Oberammergau village, renowned for its painted houses “Lüftlmalerei”
• Onwards to Munich!
• We have arranged for you a 2 day ticket for the hop on hop off tour in Munich
• 3 different routes are available and you may use all of them for 2 full days
• We also recommend visiting BMW World and Museum or Nymphenburg Palace
• Make the most of that hop on hop off ticket and continue taking in the sights
• Perhaps, dedicate some time to indulging in some Bavarian beer and local cuisine
• Check-out and drive to the airport
• Return your rental car at the airport
The price reflects this specific itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.
|Season||Price Per Adult|
Average trip price
|All year round||$2,080|