Grab the keys to the rental vehicle and journey across the land of captivating stories and fairytale castles during this 13 day self-drive road trip! History buffs, architecture fanatics, Interior design enthusiasts, lovers of food and romance, explorers and Walt Disney fans, prepare to be mesmerized! This carefully curated itinerary places you in the driver's seat so you can travel at your own pace while making sure you experience all the sights with minimal confusion, zero wasted time and the support of knowledgable local guides!See more
● Select a trip that inspires you
● Get matched with an expert local agent
● Customize your travels and book with confidence
• Touch down it Cologne (01:30 pm, flight LH1978). Pick up the rental car at the airport and drive to your hotel
• Use your 24 hour hop on hop off tour ticket to get explore Cologne’s sights and enjoy a boat trip on Rhine River
• Visit the Cologne Cathedral, Sports & Olympic Museum, Chocolate Museum, Rhine bridges and charming Rodenkirchen
• Day trip to Bonn
• Stroll around the small town center, perhaps stopping at a cafe to observe to slower pace of life
• Ride the cable car up to Drachenburg
• Drive south following Rhine River towards Mainz. We recommend visiting these on the way:
• First up, Burg Eltz, a beautiful castle in a lovely setting. Guided tours in English are available
• Discover the Old Town of Koblenz - the city where rivers Rhine and Moselle meet or take a cable car up to the fortress Ehrenbreitstein
• Next is the Marksburg Castle, a well preserved medieval castle near Koblenz. Tours are available in German
• Stop in Oberwesel, known for its many fortified towers and the impressive town wall
• If you're a castle junkie, you'll probably want to visit the Reichsburg Castle too
• Today take your time to explore Mainz on your own
• Wander down narrow lanes and visit beautiful civil houses, St. Stephan Cathedral, the Citadel, the Electoral Palace, Parliament Building and the Gutenberg Museum
• Drive to Heidelberg (1h15). If you wish you can do a little detour (+1h) to visit Michelstadt, where one of your relatives way mayor!
• In the morning hop on a public cabrio bus sightseeing tour (40min) in Karlsplatz (Carl’s Square)
• The open roof of the cabrio Bus offers new perspectives and is a must for all photographers
• Cover the highlights in Weststadt, the houses from the Wilhelmian and Art Nouveau periods, and the magnificent villas in Neuenheim
• Next, climb the castle ruins by walking up or take the cable car. Otherwise take a boat trip on Neckar River
• Discover the area around Heidelberg: like the famous Speyer Cathedral. Perhaps visit Neustadt, a small town, famous for its gothic abbey church, weekly markets and the Hambacher palace
• Travel down the Romantic Road - a trade route during the middle ages
• Your first stop on the Romantic Road is Wuerzburg (2h). Drop your luggage at your hotel reception and explore the city
• In the afternoon, do a 40-minutes city tour by train-car
• You will hear funny stories and serious facts, medieval and current affairs, glorious and cruel moments in history, romantic and passionate tales
• Continue to your next destination on the Romantic Road: Rothenburg ob der Tauber! (1h)
• On the way, stop in the church in Creglingen to admire the beautiful hand carved wooden altar
• upon arrival in Rothenburg, drop your luggage at your hotel reception and start exploring the city
• You may also visit the one and only German Christmas museum on your own - open all year!
• In the evening you will accompany the Rothenburg Night Watchman on his entertaining and informative rounds through the darkness
• Follow the Romantic Road further all the way to Füssen in the Bavarian Alps (3h30)
• Stop in medieval towns like Dinkelsbühl, Nördlingen, Harburg or Augsburg
• If you still haven’t had enough of medieval castles, we recommend a stop at Harburg Castle
• Visit Augsburg, one of the most historically significant cities in Germany
• Tour the world’s first social housing project, still in existence! We recommend joining the 2pm public walking tour in English (2h)
• Next is the Lichtenstein Castle, where you can learn about the castle’s history and marvel at the stunning interior
• Then, explore the Hohenzollern Castle on your own
• Arrive in Ulm and pay a visit to the most famous sight - the Ulm Minster
• Today you will be visiting Germany’s fairy-tale gem and the inspiration behind Walt Disney's castle: Neuschwanstein Castle!
• Afterwards, head to the Hohenschwangau Castle
And finally Munich...!
• Drive to Linderhof Palace built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria
• Explore the beautiful and richly decorated Rococo-styled rooms
• Continue to Oberammergau village, renowned for its painted houses “Lüftlmalerei”
• Onwards to Munich!
• We have arranged for you a day ticket for the hop on hop off tour of Munich
• Get in and out of the bus wherever and whenever and as many times as you want
• Today, you will be exploring on your own
• Drive to the airport and return your rental car at the airport
• Board your departing flight
Safe travels! All the best to you and hope you have enjoyed your journey of castles, cities and charming villages!
The price reflects this specific itinerary and is designed to give you an idea of the budget required for this destination. Throughout the trip-planning process, our local agency will tailor your itinerary around your budget.
|Season||Price Per Adult|
Average trip price
|From April to May||$2,140|